14 June 2006

Gardens and stuff

Well, the garden is coming up and mostly growing well. We have corn coming up, and squash, and a few of the flowers I've planted for bouquets. Last year we had so many flowers that I was able to keep our house and the church secretary fully equipped. I hope that we can do that this year, too.

Today I filled out the soccer forms for the boys. L wants to play next year, and I'm a little nervous about that. He's so much smaller than most of the kids. He's fast, and he's learning some skills, but he doesn't have the same stamina. So I volunteered to be a coach (gulp). I thought it would be a good way to make sure that L can be pulled out if he needs to be. M is going into U 10 this year and so he will be playing kids from other counties. In another two years, he will be in middle school. I can't believe that he's almost 9.

B is still gone, but he seems to be having a good time at GC. He has been seeing quite a few people that he knows.

Last week was crazy, as we had to get the boy from G & G's house, and go to a Reds Game. I'm afraid that my being a Royals fan in the stadium has completely ruined their winning streak. Before Friday, they had won 8 in a row, and now they've lost 6. To all the Reds fans out there: I'm really sorry. I had no idea that if I went to a game, I'd mess up their mojo! But, be heartened: the Reds are playing the Royals next week. I'm sure they can beat the poor old boys in blue.

I did manage to get in some cycling last week and even this week. It's not like the distance or time I put in before, but at least it's a start. (And a huge stress reliever!) If someone can watch the boys for a bit over the weekend, I'm going to go out on the Dolce (poor thing has been stuck in the garage for the last two weeks) and get in a good ride.

So, last week's stats: 48.04 miles at an average of 14.8 miles per hour (not bad for commuting miles). I was on the bike for 3 hours and 15 minutes. I managed to ride at least 4 days. This week (so far--I had to miss riding on Monday, as I needed to go to the bank), I have ridden two days for a total of 22.11 miles at an average of 14.7 mph. It's been windier this week and there has been road construction. I have been riding s-l-o-w-l-y through that. At least I'm not sitting in a car watching it overheat. I'm still moving.

I need to commit to a century soon. One of the centuries I was looking at isn't exactly a century--it is a two day 100 mile ride. Maybe I'll do one for the Indianopolis zoo, instead. I am definitely going to sign up for the ride to Shaker Village, which isn't a century, but I need a break from everyone here.

I'm not feeling overwhelmed any more. We've started the time without Daddy, and it's been okay. Patti (imagine a heart dotting the i) still barks at air though. The boys are enjoying the sitters and the newest one actually told me to call her anytime. : ) Finding good sitters is always something that makes me happy. I've only been making food that the boys like (we've had bean and cheese burritos, barbecued chicken, quesadillas and pizza so far--tomorrow looks like meatloaf) so there hasn't been any meal stress either. I even paid our bills and still have some money left (but not much, oh fates!). We finished the 3rd book in the Overlander Series and decided to go and buy the fourth. Yep--we're still reading books about giant cockroaches, bats and rats. It's good to have boys.

I'll try to post pics of the garden. Tomorrow we will need to weed and water, and if I can remember the camera, there will be pictures!

No comments: