28 January 2006

Knitting and My Life

Yesterday, I received a package from my mellow secret pal. For those of you who don't know what that means, secret pals are the idea where you sign up to buy presents and send notes to someone you don't know and and someone else sends gifts/notes/etc. to you. It's a really neat way to get to know someone else and hopefully, send some brightness to someone else. I'm doing this through a knitting board (if you're interested it's http://www.knitty.com).

My secret pal has been doing some sleuthing with my posts, reading my blog, and the questionaire I filled out. I think that she has gotten a feel for me. This picture is of the package I recieved. B and I had the coffee this morning (and it is quite good--I've never had Brazilian coffee before), chocolate, the book, and a nice note. The book is really what has captured me. I have read a few chapters and it spoke to me.

If you asked me why I started knitting, I'd tell you that I began because I can't sit still and I needed to do something while waiting in waiting rooms at doctor's offices. I'd also tell you that I continue because I'm a control freak and it is one thing that I can control. But I'm not sure that those are the real reasons. I think that I also knit because I can do something for those that I love. I knit to make myself feel better about various bad things that happen. I also knit when I'm happy. The stitches are a way to let my feelings be tangible to me. L gets his socks because I feel badly about all of the sticks he has to have. M gets them because he won't wear sweaters and I want him to have something from me when he's not with me. B gets them because I knit them in bright colors and I get to smile at the thought of the priest wearing bright red socks under his vestments. There are so many that I want to knit for that I will be busy forever.

If you ever get something knitted from me, it is a sure sign that I deeply care about you. If you haven't gotten something from me, and you are sure that I do care very much about you, it will happen. I just haven't found the right pattern or yarn for you. (And for those of you who have received cross stitched gifts from me, the same thing applies. Cross stitch actually takes me much longer to do.)

Knitting has been an aid for working through my life which is full of uncertainty and change.

Pax.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so glad that you enjoyed the package!

~Top Secret Pal