19 August 2006

Soccer, school, and general craziness

Well, you all KNOW that the boys have started school. And you've probably figured out that soccer has started, too. Of course, you are correct.

The craziness is that I start school on Monday, and I'm L's soccer coach (and 5 other U6s), and as of last Friday, I am the instructor for the second half of the year long sequence for major's biology. The part that goes through basically every single living organism on the planet. Well, the ones we have described anyway. This is scary. However, on the bright side, I am my own boss--I am the course coordinator. This means that I probably have a job as an adjunct anywhere I ever want to be. Cool. But do I want to be an adjunct forever? Maybe. Maybe not.

Usually, by this time, I have finished all of my syllabi. Not this year. I'm worried because I still have the lab syllabus to write. We know what labs are going to be done, and that helps with the lecture course. However, I don't have the ancillary material yet. To buy time, I am going to make the students watch a David Attenborough video on life. Yep, I am going to have to do that for the first lecture, anyway. I really hope that my cds show up soon.

Eep.

Between tomorrow and Monday, I will be coaching my first soccer game (we haven't even practiced yet because of all the storms) and starting a semester where I am teaching an overload, I will be going totally insane. (No comments from the peanut gallery about the fact that I already am completely insane, please.) Maybe by Labor Day I will be in the groove.

I hope.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If it's any encouragement, you're not the only person who's still scrambling to get syllabi in order. We've had a huge unexpected influx of first years requiring basic skills courses (I guess we don't call them "remedial" any more), plus new texts, new online software, and new editions for all those courses. I'm supposed to teach them not only grammar, punctuation, and paragraphing, but also "critical thinking."

I'll meet you either in the insane asylum, or in the groove by Labor Day!