31 May 2006

It's Too Darn Hot!

It isn't even June, and yesterday hit 96 degrees. I'm crazy and I biked anyway! (Slowly, but I did do it. Then I drank a liter of Gatorade.)

How you know it's hot here:

--The black dogs find shady spots in the house.
--M asked me to cut his hair, very short.
--No matter the time of day, you go outside and hear the hum of air conditioners.
--My Burt's Bees lip balm melts in my backpack.
--B bought SHORT sleeved clergy shirts.
--The boys keep "losing" their shirts when they are playing outside.
--Knitting the shawl has lost all of its appeal.
--We are using up the ice in the fridge.

Other news: B is going to General Convention after all. It runs my last week of classes and during finals (10 days). Eep. Since we've been doing tag-team parenting while I'm teaching, this should be quite interesting. (My teaching schedule and B's office hours overlap by about 1 and a half hours. The boys spend that time watching DVDs or playing on the grounds. Every kid should get some time to run around without any agenda.) One thing that is going to bother the boys is that B is going to miss Father's Day. Earlier this month, he missed his birthday as he was at a conference in Florida. I'm not sure that I am going to teach in the summer again. It's been really difficult to manage, as B seems to go out of town quite often. Sigh.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know you're wondering what to do with the boys while B is gone, but I'm glad I'll get to see him, since I'll be there working the OUP booth. They have a day-long kids program that runs for the whole 10 days for a reasonable amt. of money (and it actually sounds like more fun than the convention, with a "Lion, Witch & Wardrobe" theme), so you could just send them along with B and have the whole house to yourself. I e-mailed B the link earlier today.

Unknown said...

Hey! It was hot here,too... I love Burt's Bees...have you tried the lip balm in the tin-- it can melt and remelt and not have a problem. LOL I just got their new lip shimmer and love it--- it is about all the make up I wear!

Sounds like you are doing a great job with your biking!

TTYL

Kate said...

We looked at that--it's expensive and the sign up date is past. We'll find something. It's ironic--I wasn't going to teach if there was any chance of B going. And then last week, there began the murmurs. Oh well.

Have a great time. It sounds like Mom and Dad are going to go up and see you too.

Kate said...

I use the lip balm in the tin. I get it at the co-op. It's weird to have it melt while in the backpack on my back.

Biking is going very well. I'll be buff by August! : )