11 May 2006

Rain and cycling and last days of school

I left for this morning's ride at 8:30ish under cloud cover. I really hoped that I could get in a ride before the rain came, but alas, I did not. Rain + 60 degrees + 14-17 mph means a cold Kate. I added 2 miles to the ride today, too. Of course, if I'd just done the normal ride, I would have beaten the rain. Sigh.

I like the new bicycle quite a lot. Unfortunately, I need to adjust the derailleur. It won't let me have my top 8 gears. I'll probably need to put it on the back of the car and drop it off at the bike shop and ask them to adjust it for me. The bike shop I go to has free tuneups for life if you buy your bike there--and they do most work on the bicycle for free (I bought a new wheel for my bike last year after my wreck, but they put it on for free).

So today's stats (for those keeping track, which is ME) is 1 hour, 5 min., 38 sec. 15.5 miles at an average speed of 14.2 mph (using only the middle gears on the bike). So for this week, I've already gone 29 miles on the road and then on Monday did 50 minutes or so on the trainer. Not a bad week at all.

Today is L's last day of preschool. We found out YESTERDAY. Next year, he and M will be at the same school and they will have more or less the same schedule. I enrolled L in Kindergarten yesterday and have already had a conversation with the school nurse about SDS. She's never heard of it (not a big surprise), but plans on having a training session with his teachers about meds and classroom hygiene. She's thrilled to learn that he can take pills by swallowing. It's hard to believe that my baby is going to Kindergarten in the fall. Mind, I don't want another baby (I really like to sleep), but it can be hard to watch him grow up and know that he's going to have to start dealing with his health problems more and more on his own. Luckily, because he grows very slowly, my 5 year old can easily fit on my lap, so we can still snuggle together when he's had a bad day.

Next Friday is M's last day. We'll probably need prayers!

No comments: