04 May 2006

New wheels!

Nope, not a car. I have to get a "real job" if we're going to get me different car.

I finally got the road bike. I've been looking at them for a long time, and since I've really switched to cycling from running (bad knees, bad foot), it was time to ride something that was designed to ride for more than a half hour or so at a time. Since I want to ride a century (something that takes about 5 to 8 hours) the Dew just isn't as comfortable. Since I'd been tutoring this semester, we decided that I could use that money to buy the new bike.

Oh, it's so nice to ride. I can shift positions, which gives my wrists some much needed rest, it is so fast and smooth (except on bumps--oh well), and it's fun to ride. My first real ride on it was today--and even though I was getting used to the new pedals (need to get clipless) and the new gearing and shifters, I still went faster than I have before. WOOHOO! I'll be hitting 15 mph very soon.

Today's ride: Out to Union City up to the 6 mile marker and back. 13.09 miles, 14.7 mph, and in 53 min, 14 seconds. I'm so chuffed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your "Century" ambition! Some years ago (several some...) J rode the Santa Maria-Solvang Century. Quite an accomplishment! Then he switched to motorcycles.

Kate said...

Everyone at the bike shop thinks that I could do one now--I'm not completely convinced. I'm going to sign up for one later this summer though.

B rides his bike, but really prefers his motorcycle, too.

Unknown said...

Great Bike! Love the socks!

I just got a new red bike a few weeks ago (C & I both got new bikes for our 13th anniversary!) Mine is red, too.