05 May 2007

Oh. My. Goodness.

We went to Cincinnati last night with The Collar's parents to see The Lion King. These tickets were a Christmas gift. It was amazing--and I wasn't all that enamoured of the movie. You could hear the indrawing of breath when the curtain went up. It was one of the best performances of anything that I have ever seen.

The puppets and costumes were beautiful and elegant. They really brought the feel of the music to life. The dancing was also something that was incredible. Game Boy spent the entire musical listening and watching. He was amazed by the puppets. He says its 10X better than the movie. The Wiz was mostly quiet (this should tell you how amazing it was), but did spend a lot of time trying to determine how they did the effects. There's nothing cuter than a six year old very seriously trying to find out how the puppets work and how the rock moves, and so on. A favorite quote: "How did they do the steam effect?" The only thing that disappointed me was that they did not change Timon and Puumba from the movie at all. They looked cartoonish, and pretty much were exactly like they are in the movie(s). Oh well.

If you ever get to see this, you should. It doesn't matter if you have children or not. It is a stunning production, and the boys are both wondering if they can go back.

2 comments:

Pat said...

Alia and I could've had free tickets on Saturday for The Lion King. Unfortunately, one of us was extremely tired. (That would be me.) I just finished my first full week of working, and it included a lot of driving. I'm not used to it, yet. Now I wish we had gone. Oh well, I probably would have fallen asleep.

Unknown said...

AWESOME! I am so glad to hear you enjoyed it so much!